List Item: Be able to name all the American States in under 10 minutes
As a Brit the ability to name the 50 U.S. States never really featured as part of geography lessons (which I quit as early as I could because physical geography bored me). But, I remember from an episode of Friends that the ability to name all 50 states was something that was hard to do so this was something I wanted to be able to do.
Now, I apologise for the quality of the video below (and the giant watermark) but you will both see and hear me complete this item from my bucket list. It took a lot of self control to not swear whenever I got stuck….
So, as you can see, I managed to name all 50 states after not practising for almost a year. If you have any related thing that you think I should try and aim towards please leave me a comment.
List Item: Watch films from 100 different nations
Time for me to open up the second of my three film bucket list items with a rather arbitrary goal of seeing films from 100 different nations. Unlike the Oscar list item this is something that can be permanently crossed off unless I suddenly get the urge to add another batch of countries to keep this going.
Now, I have decided to count countries as long as I watched the film after I put this onto my bucket list which was (yes I made a note) on August 5th 2013. This means that some countries (e.g. Finland, South Africa, China and Israel) are not on the list yet despite me having seen them in the past. I figured using this cut off point would serve as a way to make this more challenging whilst also keeping Burkina Faso (still stoked about that one).
Whilst I was preparing this list I saw there were 21 countries on the list and instantly envisioned doing a really cool triangle number diagram as you can see below:Notice the problem? Well in making that list I had forgotten that I saw a Polish film at the end of January which means poor Hungary (my most recent nation) has to lay on the outskirts since I decided to do this in order of seeing them. My inner math-geek is not impressed with this. It was later pointed out to me that a film I thought was Australian was from New Zealand, now my inner flag-geek is unhappy too.
Still 22 countries down, 78 to go. Not a bad place to start with, although there are not many of the big film nations left which will make this interesting.
Any film suggestions for yet unwatched countries will be VERY much appreciated. Bear in mind re-watches are not allowed here so films like Tsotsi, Drifting Clouds and Waltz With Bashir will not count.
- Germany – Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari)
- U.S.A. – Robocop
- Netherlands – De Vierde Man(The Fourth Man)
- Czech Republic – Kolja (Kolya)
- Italy – La Strada
- Burkina Faso – Sarraounia
- Argentina – El Secreto De Sus Ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes)
- Japan – Zatoichi Monogatari (The Story of Zatoichi)
- Brazil – Cidade De Deus (City of God)
- Denmark – Melancholia
- United Kingdom – Blowup
- Norway – Flåklypa Grand Prix (Pinchcliffe Grand Prix)
- France – La règle du jeu (The Rules of the Game)
- New Zealand – The Piano
- Poland – Popiól i diament (Ashes and Diamonds)
- Spain – El espíritu de la colmena (The Spirit of the Beehive)
- Sweden – Viskningar och Rop (Cries and Whispers)
- Belgium – Ernest & Célestine
- Greece – Kynodontas (Dogtooth)
- Canada – The Sweet Hereafter
- Algeria – Z
- Hungary – A torinói ló(The Turin Horse)